Whether you are a solo developer working on your next startup idea or a team of folks working with Django, this course shows you the way to simplify your operations overhead while saving money. The open source Zappa utility paves the way to migrate your Django application away from old-school servers and onto the AWS Lambda serverless platform. It’s almost like having your own private Infrastructure team!
No need to watch for OS security patches or tweak Apache settings — just focus on delivering value to your users. All this with minimal changes to your Django application. Leverage the power of AWS to rapidly respond to spikes in user traffic, while saving money by only paying for the web requests actually needed.
For folks ready for serverless Django, this course covers:
- Which Django apps are best to migrate and how to prepare them
- Configuring a generic and portable development environment easily set up by new developers in minutes
- Deploying and updating your code to AWS Lambda
- Best practices in serving Django static files
- Leveraging AWS services to secure your site with HTTPS and your own custom domain name
- Learning how to configure a secure network environment in AWS VPC
- Connecting your Django application to a hosted RDS database
All this while leveraging the AWS Free Tier. While there are some lessons that may have additional cost to complete (e.g. bring your own domain name), the vast majority of this course will be using the AWS Free Tier and won’t cost anything.
It’s taught by Edgar Román. I was introduced to Django in 2009 and I consider it my go-to web framework. With continuous support from a vibrant community in addition to an incredibly rich ecosystem, I would be hard pressed to find another framework that matches up.
I’ve been using Zappa to host my Django applications for several years now, and I have found no other solution that is as powerful and cost-effective as serverless Django hosting on AWS — especially for the solo developer working to get a product to market.
I hope you enjoy this course and harness the power of serverless Django with Zappa in your projects!